Sunday, March 30, 2008

Pear, almond and chocolate tart

What a better way to kick off the show than with a freebie?
On the Easter weekend that had just passed (08') I went to Goulbourn to visit my parents, and in their lounge room was a recent copy of the Coles "Tempting ideas for Autumn" catalogue. A foray into Coles at Epping ensured I too had my own free copy, and it is with this I present my first experiment PEAR, ALMOND & CHOCOLATE TART
If you can't get into a Coles, please find a copy of the recipe at http://autumn.coles.com.au/recipes-and-food/sweet-and-spice.aspxpice.aspx

At first glance, this recipe looks easier enough to follow. I am disappointed that it will be made with a pre-cooked tart shell but as I made this on a Monday night (yes, a school aka take away night), I won't complain.
A snoop into my pantry/fridge did reveal that it is kind of bare, but I did have a few stapes on hand such as butter, icing sugar, almond meal (I normally would not stock this, but had some left over from an attempt at a flourless chocolate cake), eggs and plain flour. I did purchase some pears, chocolate, and pre-cooked tart shell.


A further review of the recipe revealed that it is badly composed. A novice cook, I believe would have no clue as to what a 'moderate oven' would be nor would they know how to poach the pears in the 'sugar syrup' when no instructions were given. However, many years under the guidance of a good Food Tech teacher (thanks Mrs Mathews) ensured that I handled the task competently

..so wha-la...



With every great experiment there must be a conculsion and even though I did not find the meaning of life (# 42 - "The hitch hikers guide to the galaxy") with the Tart, it was nice but not memorable. I'm a harsh critic, even with my own cooking.















2 comments:

Lien said...

Mmmmmm.... haven't tasted the tart yet but at least I know the poached pears were good. Thanks for breakfast!

Anonymous said...

I've come to you via Lien's blog and look forward to more mouth-watering delights! I'm like Lien -don't cook much (why else would I have a husband?). Good luck with the new blog.